- Import other pages over here.
(it's a working logo, don't chew me out)
Its current target era is pre-Windows: DOS, c64, Amiga, Atari, etc. Software will be Linux-native where possible, but two-stage software will be examined .. such as emulating DOS to run a DOS program.
- Platform Emulation (DOS: DOSBox and DOSEmu, other platforms like c64, Amiga, Atari)
- Console Platform Emulation (NES, Sega Genesis, Arcade, etc)
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demoscene Demos (intros, demos, megademos, democomp-related stuff)
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_art_scene Art (ASCII, ANSI, pixel, etc)
- Music (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Module_file MODs etc, c64 SID, and more)
- Games (Free, not abandonware - either platform-specific, console or arcade games)
- This is a secondary interest.
Oldschool-Windows and producer editions may be considered in the future.
To do lists
- oldschool art
- oldschool demos
- oldschool emulation
- oldschool games
- oldschool music downloads
- oldschool music players
- window managers
Later, follow up with an in-depth review and pick best-of-breed items.
Contact the developers of the best-of-breed and let them know my intentions. Ask for a link and some hype. Check their site for any reference stuff to use (ROMs, etc)
Do more research to see if someone else has done this. Determine if I can borg their work, or get them to merge with me.
- Follow resources to get more links. See if some of these resources can be permanent references so I don't have to maintain big lists.
- Follow up with dead links, see if the project moved. If not found, check archive.org for reference at least.
- Test Linux items
- Test DOS-only items under DOSBOX DOSEMU VMWare etc whatever.
- Test Windows-only items under Wine VMWare etc / whatever.
- Learn to package for Unity Linux.
- Package all software, and commit everything into the Unity Linux repository.
- http://www.defacto2.net -- The Scene News, Archives & Portal
- Emphasis on the PC cracking scene.
- http://www.defacto2.net/portal.cfm?category=Old%20School&sort=name links
- http://www.worldofspectrum.org/ - The official world archive for the Sinclair ZX Spectrum and the largest on-line gaming center on the Internet
- http://www.hugi.scene.org/ Hugi diskmag
- http://www.pain.scene.org/ PAiN diskmag
- http://www.shine.scene.org/ Shine diskmag
- As of 2009-04-13, not updated since 2000
- http://www.old-computers.com/forum/ forum
- http://members.quicknet.nl/blankendaalr/dbgl/ DBGL - dosbox game loader
- Was there much of an original Apple scene? Probably. Research it.
- Was there an OS/2 scene?
- Was/is there a BeOS scene?
- Who am I missing? Probably a bunch of stuff. Even programmable calculators had a scene.
- http://textfiles.org should have lots of stuff I could use. There ought to be ASCII artwork in there, maybe even ANSI artwork, packs and the like.
- I should have an emphasis on user contributions.
- http://urukrama.wordpress.com/2008/10/26/giving-new-life-to-an-old-computer/ Giving life to an old computer - mentioned Canto, which is gold. Check the rest out.
- http://kmandla.wordpress.com/ - check him out re. light footprint software
- http://kingofgng.com/eng/topics/emulation-retrogaming/ -- also make sure you check out their other categories!! Good Old Gaming is good.
To consider later
- A primer
- A list of resources
- Telnet links to online BBS'
- Parties? I have a list..
- hacked emulators
- speedrun movies
- BBS: the documentary
- The Amiga and DOS Demo disks
- Anything else?
- http://groups.google.com/group/comp.archives.msdos.announce/browse_thread/thread/258dab0ef6dd28bc The public updating and the posting of the Garbo download statistics are discontinued.
- absorb these links: http://lipas.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/banners.html
- http://www.uwasa.fi/laskentatoimi/english/personnel/salmitimo/ Timo Salmi's home page
- http://groups.google.com/group/comp.archives.msdos.d/topics?lnk comp.archives.msdos.d - silent, but the archives might be useful
- http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.ascii/browse_thread/thread/3141acc5d82c9d20# FAQ (check it out for links!)
- http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?sel=usenet%3Dcomp.bbs comp.bbs (misc)
- http://groups.google.com/group/comp.unix.dos-under-unix/topics?lnk comp.unix.dos-under-unix